Thursday, March 4, 2010

My Very First Blog

So I’ve figured out that getting this thing started is probably the hardest part. I’m very rarely at a loss for words, as my friends and family would certainly tell you, so this is particularly frustrating for me. So after many beginnings and deletions I’ve decided to dive right in…
Today’s blog is going to be about my profession. March is National Athletic Training Month, a self-proclaimed month where we, Athletic Trainers, are to promote our profession. Most of the time when I tell people that I am an athletic trainer, they respond with one of two responses:
1: Oh, cool, you can help me work out!
2: Uhhh...Oh, ok.
Now, my problem with #1 is that I am not a personal trainer. I have nothing against personal trainers, but I am not one. I am a Certified Athletic Trainer, an allied health care professional trained in the prevention, assessment, treatment, and rehabilitation of injuries and illnesses. And even though this is not in the National Athletic Trainers’ Association statement, we are also trained in emergency response, but that’s another topic for another day. (http://www.nata.org/about_AT/terminology.htm) We work mainly with physically active populations everywhere from the traditional high school and collegiate setting to industrial settings to working with the military and even the performing arts. (http://www.nata.org/about_AT/whatisat.htm)
My problem with #2 is what National Athletic Training Month is all about. Any athletic trainer who has gotten the blank stare and “Uhhh...Oh, ok” after naming their profession shares my frustration. Therefore, we have decided that for the entire month of March, we shall promote our profession. In my office we’re not doing a whole lot for National Athletic Training Month. A couple of us are excited at this opportunity to promote the profession but it is a rather concentrated effort. One girl I work with made cup cakes with all sorts of “fun facts” on post it notes stuck into the cup cakes with tooth-picks. So cute. One of my favorite fun facts was “Athletic Trainers don’t get stage fright.”
There are a lot of professions out that are under-recognized and under-appreciated who do not have their own month or day even. In fact, my boyfriend (who is in the Air Force) said, “Wait, you guys get a whole month, we only get a day.” It’s true, there is Armed Forces Day, and National Athletic Training Month, but in our defense, ours is only self-proclaimed. However, I think we as athletic trainers should take hold of this month and use it to let people know who we are and what we do and why those geeky people in khaki’s with fanny packs keep running out on the field during sporting events.
As a final note, whenever I have one, I’m going to put up an athlete quote of the day. These are all from current or former athletes and range from profound to funny to just plain odd. I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment