Tuesday, April 6, 2010

To Run or Not to Run...

Yeah, yeah, I know. I haven't written anything in almost a week and a half, but you'll have to forgive me as it's been a fairly tumultuous week and a half. But that is neither here nor there.

So, yesterday I ran again for the first time in...a while. It went ok, except for the part where I felt like I was dying. Ok, I'm exaggerating a little, but I did feel incredibly out of shape. I used to be something of a workout junkie and by the time I graduated from Alabama was running over 3 miles almost everyday. But then enter a whole series of events that caused me to ditch my workout routine. I know, you're crying on the inside. Anyway, recently I have half-heartedly been thinking of trying to get back in the swing of things and what I finally decided was that I need to just do it. There are 3 main reasons for this:

1. Being physically active is healthy. I've been in a class all semester (Exercise Epidemiology) where the basic premise of all the research we go over is that exercise reduces the risk of many diseases that kill hundreds of thousands every year. So, why not go for a run a couple times a week and reduce the risk of disease?

2. I get out of breath (like, seriously winded) walking uphill and talking on the phone at the same time.

3. I tried on the cutest pair of little summery cropped jeans this past weekend and could barely fit one ass cheek in my normal size. Not cool.


So, yes, I admit that this is a little bit about vanity. But I really do want to start living a more healthy lifestyle in general. My "run" yesterday was about 22 minutes in length...and I walked for about 15 of those minutes. But hey, that just means I can do more tomorrow! So, for now, my heart and lungs are fat and out of shape, but that's soon to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment