Monday, October 18, 2010

What's with the # and the @...

I've recently become "re-interested" in social networking. I've always used Facebook moderately and I've had an on-again-off-again relationship with Twitter. Part of my issue with Twitter is that I've always thought it was kind of silly. However, seeing as how all my friends and family (except Manny of course) live nowhere near here, I think using social networking can be a really effective way to keep everyone up to date on what's going on. I especially feel this way about Twitter. Although I've found 2 problems with Twitter thus far. 1. Not many people I know are on Twitter. 2. I don't really understand all the ins and out of Twitter.

I've recently discovered that a lot of people use what are called "hash tags" on Twitter. Which is a "#" before a word or phrase. It has been described to me as a way to categorize posts but I still don't quite get the point yet.

Another thing I haven't yet figured out...can people who aren't on Twitter follow you on Twitter? Like, my mother, for instance, I'm sure would want to follow my tweets but I'm not sure she'd be one to sign up for Twitter. Anyone have any insight?

One thing I really like about Twitter though is being able to attach a photo to my tweet without having to create a random album on Facebook. It's like giving a quick little visual insight into what's going on. Again, I think that can be really helpful to keeping up with friends and family.

Anyone have any other ideas on Twitter or social networking in general? I'd especially love to know if people who aren't on Twitter can follow!

And one last thing, I've linked my Twitter accountto my blog so you can check it out that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment