Saturday, October 30, 2010

When you fall off the horse...

...you have to get right back up there. During my horseback riding lesson this past Wednesday, I got to put this into practice in a literal sense. The horse I was riding (Pete, who is very sweet but also has a tendency to panic), refused a jump but then panicked when I fell forward onto his neck and disappeared out from under me. Oops. This isn't really all that big of a deal but I haven't fallen off in quite some time. And guess what, it hurts more than it did when I was sixteen. But anyway, after getting over the initial shock that I was in fact lying on the ground, I got up, dusted myself off, and climbed back in the saddle. Then I experienced something that I don't ever remember feeling while on horseback. I was nervous. Weird, right? It only lasted about 10 seconds but I remember thinking that it was a good thing I got right back on otherwise the fear and nervousness would have just built up over time.

So as I was thinking about this on the way home, I realized that this concept should be applied to lots of things in life. When you feel like you "fall off the horse", you just have to get back up there, no matter what. If something crappy happens at work, just go back in the next day and do it better. I feel like when we let things get to us and just dwell and dwell, it just gets so much worse.

So, that's my philosophical two cents for the day. Oh, and on a funny note, I did make this really horrible grunting sound when I hit the ground, I don't ever remember doing that either.

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing what almost ten years difference can feel like. My knees remind me of that every time I try to squat down.

    PS: I like it when you're philosophical. :)

    ReplyDelete