Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sunday Etiquette Series: Part IV

I have some opinions on etiquette, I know you're shocked. :) And recently, a friend and I were talking about the many social faux pas that people our age (twenty-somethings) tend to make, so I thought it may be a good idea to do a little series on etiquette, especially with the holidays right around the corner. You may disagree with some of what I say, and that's just fine. These are just my personal opinions, and I am well aware that there are exceptions to every rule. :)


New to the Sunday Etiquette Series? Check out Parts I, II, and III here. 


I've been thinking a lot lately about Facebook etiquette. Every day, I see something on Facebook that makes me think "wow, did you really just tell your 1000 closest friends that?". There are a lot of reasons to be aware of Facebook etiquette, but the two that jump out at me are A: preserving your own privacy and B: future employment. With regards to "A," I guess that's just a personal choice. I don't care to share my deepest emotions on Facebook. As far as "B," do you really want your future employer to know you are "omg, like so hammered!". I don't. So here are my little tips on Facebook etiquette, and as always, feel free to disagree. :)


Part IV: Facebook Etiquette


1. Please do not share the deepest darkest depths of your soul on Facebook. I know status updates are a quick and easy way to let people know how and what you're doing....but if you're drowning in a pit of despair, phone a friend, don't update your status.


2. Don't fight on Facebook. It's trashy.


3. Keep the PDA to a minimum. I'm not going to elaborate because I don't want to call anyone out, but it's just kind of...annoying.


4. If you're profile isn't completely and totally flattering (to a potential employer) either clean it up, or make it impossible to find.


5. Don't bad mouth others. It's trashy.


I could probably list 17 other things not to do , but just use good judgement is what it all boils down to. And remember that what you post on Facebook (statuses, pictures, likes, etc) is by no means private. Make sure that you are okay with your 2000 closest friends knowing what you just posted on your status. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment