Wednesday, January 19, 2011

13.1

For a while now, I've been repeating over and over my goal of going to join a gym. I've had every excuse in the world as to why I haven't done it yet...I'm tired, I don't have time, I'll get to it next week. And I finally realized what my problem was. I didn't see the point in going to work out. I still fit in my clothes, I feel pretty ok with my size, so what's the point? (Yeah, I know, being healthy should be the point but for some reason my brain won't take that as my sole motivation.) So I decided I needed a goal, something to work towards, something tangible with a definite end point.

I have decided to run a half-marathon.

Yes, me, who has not consistently worked out in years. I'll be running it in September. As of yet have no idea how to go about training for this thing, but first on my list is to build up a cardio-fitness base (in a nice warm gym) while it's still ass-cold here in Ohio. I still have 8 months before the race so in a couple months when things start to thaw a little I'll start the "real" training.

So as I write this I realize I have commited myself to running 13.1 miles, all at once. Now, to some of you, this is peanuts, but to me, it is quite a challenge.

So, anyone have any good training references?

5 comments:

  1. You should contact Jeremy Dobbs at Bama. He is a long distance runner and will be able to point you in the right direction.

    Merideth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to do this but I have no idea how to train for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a great goal!! run for both of us, because, honestly, if you ever see me running i'm either being chased or on fire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should try the Couch to Half-Marathon program (it's by the same people who do Couch to 5K). They have training programs, schedules, and podcasts. My co-worker did it and trained for a half-marathon in 6 months.

    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/144.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine! You can totally do it! I ran the Country Music Half the spring that we graduated from UA. I used this schedule, and I KNOW if I can do it - you definitely can! Here's the link: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

    I didn't follow it perfectly, and ended up only running 10 miles before the actual race. But I ran the entire race and came in way under the time I expected! Good luck! I know you can do it! Keep us updated on here, please!

    ReplyDelete