Monday, January 24, 2011

Money Monday


It's Money Monday and I have some good news...I finally kept track of every single little purchase right down to the last day of my budget! A lot of times before, once I would go over budget, I would just kind of give up until the next pay period. Not this time my friends! I did go over budget in a couple categories but not enough to blow my entire budget. Not to mention that this pay period I made a hefty contribution to my wedding fund and bought a plane ticket. How's that for bleeding money? I did, though, for the first time in while, spend some money on myself just for the heck of it. Anyway, here's the rundown...

TOTAL BUDGET: under by a whole .79%
Gasoline: over by 9.58% these gas prices are really cramping my style
Grocery: over by 10% we switched up the grocery rotation a little, so should be way under next time
Other: under by 12.5% woo! this one has been the biggest struggle in the past!

And that's it for this week. All my non-fixed expenses. I'm really happy about the under in the "Other" category because that's where I used to go over by a lot. I feel like I've been able to cut down on non-necessary spending (like fast food and Starbucks). And although my total budget was only under by a smidgeon, it's much better than being over and having to take money out of savings. So, :D.

My next quest is to divide my "Other" category down even further. I haven't yet decided what categories to incorporate, but I'll be sure to share when I figure it out.

How is your budget doing? Do you have lots of little categories, or do you just lump it into one big "Other" category?

2 comments:

  1. I do the exact same thing- give up after I've gone over and just say, 'oh well, i'll do better next pay period.' I really need to stop doing that because often times I can still do pretty well with my budget even if I've gone over in a category or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @TWG: that's the same thing I found this past month. even though I went over in those categories, I didn't blow the WHOLE budget, which was really nice to see! :)

    ReplyDelete