Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fast Food Spending Fast

Recently I complained wrote a post about how much money I've been spending on fast food lately (and vowed to end it forever!). But it's not that easy and so I've been looking at my fast food spending triggers. I realized that most of my fast food spending is due to a lack of planning! More often than not, I bought dinner and/or lunch out because I had not taken the time and effort to use food already in the house to plan for these meals. (Which also resulted in some unnecessary food waste. Sigh.) Big. fat. fail.

So what am I doing to change my habits? I'm engaging in a Fast Food Spending Fast. I'm going to do my very best not to buy any fast food (especially during week days). I don't mind spending money on food when going out with friends, but I'm putting the nix on weekday I'm-eating-it-because-I'm-lazy fast food spending.

How am I going to accomplish that you ask?...well, I've made you a list!

1. Make sure to have easily packable food in the house. Lack of this is usually not the problem, but it is essential.


2. Put away leftovers properly so that they may be used for lunch the next day.


3. If not packing the night before, at least plan in your head what you're going to pack the next day.


4. Just do it. So many times I take an extra five minutes to sit around in my pajamas when I could be doing something productive, and those five little minutes cost $5 - $1- (depending on what I buy for lunch).


I have a million and one excuses for not packing my lunch more regularly, but they all suck. It literally takes less than five minutes and will literally save me lots of money!

2 comments:

  1. I do love this post. Since TFH and I have been saving for the wedding, our "fun" spending has been nearly depleted. We used to make it a priority to go out on Friday nights... but that got expensive. So every so often I find myself saying, "well... let's just grab subway then!" OMG! It's equally expensive if you go out enough times.

    We've been watching our fast food/restaurant spending for two months now... and still have a hard time. So don't beat yourself up if you slip once or twice. Beat yourself up when it gets to be 5 or 6 times ;)

    I may track how much I spend on those things next month... thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @therese: thanks! it is hard to stay on top of especially when i get busy. mint.com kindly reminds me of how much i've spent which is what spurred the fast! lol

    ReplyDelete