Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Adult Bullies Suck



Yesterday afternoon  I was happily plowing through some work when I saw a tweet a friend of mine had posted about overhearing some colleagues at work making fun of her. My first reaction...how rude?! Then when I heard the entire story it pissed me off even more! So I'm sharing it just because, well, I want to.

So this friend works as a librarian. And yesterday one of her...clients...asked a rather technical question regarding cataloging and why it should be done a certain way. So, being the well-educated librarian she is (Roll Tide!), she gave him a technical answer as to why the cataloguing is done a certain way and how is it dictated to be that way by certain library standards. Apparently this did not satisfy the client/colleague. She then heard him making fun of her in the hallway (really, are we in high school?).

First, I have a problem with bullies. I work at a high school and it drives me nuts to see kids be downright nasty to each other for no good reason. And when possible, I diffuse the situation and let the bully know what he/she did was unacceptable.

Second, bullies that make it all the way to adulthood being allowed to act that way really cook my grits. I don't understand the point. It's mean, rude, and karma is going to bite you in the ass!

Maybe this is just a rant. Maybe I just don't understand because I'm not a soul-less bitch. I'm all for some good-natured teasing (and, mind you, when the person is present, not behind their back!), but gossiping in the halls about a colleague because she gave a technical answer to a technical question just makes you look like an idiot. And an asshole.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.

Have a nice day...and be nice! :)

5 comments:

  1. C,

    I love you so much for this. Thanks!

    ~E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree!!! My dad, as you know, taught for over 40 years in different schools but this last one he was at sent him over the edge. These children will grow up in a society that won't teach them otherwise bc the parents at home, in general not always, don't reinforce the life lessons from school. Tragic really

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ask and ye shall receive. I hope karma bit him in the ass :)

    I have been the bully, and have also been bullied. It's a no-go either way you look at it. I often find that people look down on certain job positions--I'm talked down to as an admin assistant, and just hope I become those people's bosses someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing this post! I simply don't understand this kind of behavior...particularly from adults. From kids and teenagers it's one thing (still not okay, but a little more understandable). But adults? Come on.

    ReplyDelete