Thursday, August 18, 2011

Operation Organize Update

I'm pretty sure everyone thinks I've completely abandoned Operation Organize. I haven't, it's just kind of on hold. If you're wondering what I'm talking about, you can check out Phase I and Phase II here. I've also done some organizing without blogging about it. I know. Shame on me.

A week or so before my friend's bridal shower, another friend came over and we spent 11 hours cleaning/organizing the bottom floor of my house. Yes, it took that long. Yes, I felt like I was on Hoarders. But now it looks amazing! It's been several weeks and much to my surprise, the house still looks great!



It's ok. I won't be offended if you're surprised too. :) All too often in the past, either my best friend or my mom has come over and help me overhaul my house, only to find weeks later that it has slipped back into its normal messiness. No more! I am determined! Like I mentioned in a previous post, I'm using a chore planner to try and help me remember to do all those little things around the house I usually seem to forget about. In addition, here are a few helpful hints from someone with serious clutter/hoarding tendencies on keeping up with the clean!

1. It's ok if you don't put something away the very second you're done using it, but doing a quick put away at the end of each day is very helpful.
2. If you fall  a little behind on chores, do them when you can rather than ignore them.
3. If your house doesn't look like it fell out of a Better Homes and Gardens magazine...that's ok. Your house doesn't have to look like a show room to be clean and organized.
4. If you need to, call in reinforcements. So many times, I got so overwhelmed with cleaning and organizing I just ignored it altogether. But having someone else to help and keep you focused can really help get things back in order!

I still have several medium/large organizing projects on my list, so stay tuned for more organizing!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Just wow. It looks like a different house than when I was there in May. I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete