Friday, January 20, 2012

Books and Miscellany

This week has been omgbusy. Last week I was all "ohh, I have posts scheduled 4 days out" and now I'm like "oh crap, I've barely touched my blog this week." I think I've still managed to get things up most days but I've felt in a rush. (It probably doesn't help that at some point Tuesday night I managed to delete Wednesday's post. Oops.) And I did all this organizing in my craft room/office last week and haven't been in here hardly at all this week. *sad face*

I have been getting some reading done though. I'm still chipping away at The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It's really really good, but by the time I get in bed to read, I'm about to fall asleep. I did, however, buy two books at Half Price Books last night.

Confessions of a Shopaholic
I got this mainly because I need a light read after Henrietta.

A Million Little Pieces
I am well aware that he came out and confessed that this book is a fraud. I think it will be an interesting read anyway.

My only problem is that once I get a new book, I'm desperate to start it and have trouble focusing on the one I need to finish. Though I think Henrietta deserves my perseverance. Read the book, you'll see what I mean.


I've also been working on changing the look of my blog. I'm contemplating a new layout and definitely a new color scheme, and hopefully, eventually, a new header. ;)

Happy Friday!

8 comments:

  1. A Million Little Pieces is in my top 5 favorite books of all time. I believe he said it was fiction on Oprah to boost ratings. Trust me, when you read it it's hard to believe he made it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. interesting. i'm going to have to do some research about that. :) and regardless i want to read the book, i've heard it's fantastic.

      Delete
  2. I read A Million Little Pieces and wasn't overly impressed. Although, I was depressed at the time so that probably impacted things.
    I have Confessions of a Shopaholic on my shelf! Sometimes it's really nice to have fluff reading material handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i especially have to have some fluff after a "heavy" read.

      Delete
  3. By the time you get to the point where he goes to the dentist, you will realize that this book is fiction! It is so overblown. It has been debunked by people who grew up with him, in addition to the places he supposedly stayed to detox. He actually tried to get the book published as fiction, but the publisher was only interested in the book if it was a true account. Sooooo, a little lie here, a little lie there, and voila he is on Oprah and the GIANT LIE is broadcast worldwide. He actually came out with a fiction book later that was very well done and I enjoyed much more than this overwrought book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey mom! thanks for the info. now that you say that i totally remember him admitting that he tried to first sell it as fiction. sneaky sneaky. maybe i can read his other one when i finish these.

      Delete
  4. that's how i feel too sometimes! I haven't been able to look at a computer for like 4 days because i got eye surgery and now it's like "oooo blogs!!" and I feel like i've fallen so behind! I HEART your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh thank you! i hope the eye surgery went well!

      Delete