Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cake Popscapades

OMG! So back around my birthday, I was at Starbucks with some girlfriends and decided we needed a birthday treat so I bought us a couple of their "Birthday Cake Pops". They were the cutest little things and SO yummy. I've had a couple since then but haven't thought much about them until I saw a Cake Pop/Donut Hole maker on sale at Macy's during the holidays. I immediately started nagging Manny like a 5-year-old and told him that I just had to have one for Christmas! After telling me repeatedly that I really didn't need it, my wonderful husband surprised me with it on Christmas. :) However, by then I'd been doing my cake pop research and found that I would probably get much better results making them from scratch. Guess hubby knew best after all. ;)

So last week I made my first batch of cake pops. I made a yellow cake, used vanilla icing (Pillsbury store bought) and coated them with white vanilla flavored candy melts and dark chocolate candy melts.
cake pops chilled and waiting to be stuck and dipped

some of my very first cake pops!

They came out pretty ok and I was instantly hooked! The first night I basically got out all my sprinkles (I'm kind of like a crazy cat lady of sprinkles, don't judge) and played with all of them! It was so much fun and they tasted pretty great. The cake wasn't great by itself but once you add icing and coat it in chocolate, well, what's not to like?!

I immediately decided that these were my new favorite thing to bake (sorry, cookies, I'm sure I'll come back eventually). They are so easy and so fun and OMG SO YUMMY. I already have a ton of other flavor combinations I want to try, I just need to find the time! So far I've tried...
Yellow cake, vanilla icing: coated in vanilla flavored and dark chocolate candy melts
White cake, vanilla icing: coated in white chocolate and dark chocolate candy melts

I made the white cake ones for New Years and they were adorable if I do say so myself. And my hubby took some nice pictures of them so I'll have to share them with you soon (and maybe even a recipe)!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe I missed them on New Year's!! Hopefully I can try them soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you own that many kinds of sprinkles ;p Do you just pick them up when you find unique ones?!

    I wonder how well cake pops ship...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Reese yeah, that's exactly what I do. i'm always on the lookout, haha. and I'll find out how well they ship soon because i'm sending some to my cousin!

    ReplyDelete