Monday, January 2, 2012

Our Story, Part III: Mama, I'm Already in Kentucky!

Hey y'all! It's Monday, so it's love story time. If you missed the last couple weeks you can catch up using the links below. I hope you enjoy!

Our Story, Part I
Our Story, Part II

We continued on like that for another couple weeks. We talked everyday, often for several hours at night. We talked about everything. Family, music, pet peeves, food, hobbies, anything that came to mind. The only thing we didn't talk about much was his quickly approaching deployment. (We met roughly one month before his first deployment.) It was sometime during July when he asked if he could come visit me before he left. He knew better than I did that if we wanted to make something of this, we needed to see each other again before he left for 6 months. I told him I would love for him to come visit, and he quickly purchased a plane ticket. I didn't tell my family he was coming until after he'd bought the ticket. They thought I was a little crazy, and were honestly more than a little concerned for my safety.

Not more than 4 days before he was supposed to be boarding a plane to Georgia, he called me in the middle of the day and told me he had bad news. They had moved his departure date up a week (mark the beginning of my love/hate relationship with the Air Force) which gave him one weekend to move out of his apartment. He was really upset but he just didn't think it was going to be possible to come to Georgia and move out of his apartment in time. He just had too much to do. So, I lost my mind and offered to drive to Ohio.

In hindsight, I had just agreed to drive 8 hours to see a man I've met once. I did not sleep on it or give myself time to make a rational decision. I did not make a list weighing the risks and benefits. I just went with it. In hindsight, if we hadn't fallen madly in love and ended up married, this could have ended very badly.


I left work Friday at 4:45pm, got into my already packed car and headed North. My mama told me I'd better not come back married. (He is a military man after all.) Then she asked me (when I was 6.5 hours in to my 8 hour trip) if I was even sure that he really wanted me up there. My totally rational response: MAMA! I'M ALREADY IN FREAKIN' KENTUCKY!!! You can't ask me this when I'm already in KENTUCKY!!!! She was worried that the early departure date was an excuse because he was having second thoughts about seeing me. Fortunately for me, that was not the case. I arrived in Ohio after 2am and hugged my future husband for the first time.

2 comments:

  1. Your best friend also thought you were nuts and feared for your safety. :)

    She still thinks you're nuts, but in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "She still thinks you're nuts, but in a different way."

    this. =)

    ReplyDelete