Wednesday, February 1, 2012

29 Day Organizational Challenge: Before Pictures

Hey y'all! I hope you're ready to feel way better about the state of your home! Seriously, when I began taking/reviewing pictures for this challenge I got a little nervous. Having to focus on the magnitude of our clutter all at was once a little overwhelming (and this is only one room! but it is by far the worst cluttered right now). I didn't realize how bad it had gotten! Believe it or not, when my husband came home (not even 3 months ago!) the house was spotless. Not a thing out of place. Now, it looks like a couple of hoarders live here. (That is not meant to be offensive. I have some pretty serious hoarding tendencies myself.)

The room that I picked for the 29 Day Organizational Challenge (hosted by I'm an Organizing Junkie) is our master bedroom. Prepare yourself. ;) It's gonna get a little ugly.

First, a picture of our bedroom from the doorway. The bed is made, but there's no bedskirt, ugly mismatched curtains, and the ever present pile of laundry waiting to be folded. Oh, and a really messy nightstand...but we'll get to that later.

And now my corner of clutter. That stuff has been there since before the wedding. Oh, and the cosmetic and jewelry cases sitting on top of the jewelry stand there? They still haven't been unpacked from the honeymoon. :/

The nightstand. I don't think I even need to explain.

Oh the bookcase. I'm not even sure we need a bookcase in our bedroom, but that's where it's always lived. It's also a great spot to dump junk on. Or leave glasses or coffee cups on (I count three).

Oh the dresser. This thing can look so nice when it's all clean but it too has become a dumping ground for everything we couldn't fit on top of the bookcase.

Another little pile of junk! I'm famous for my piles. Seriously. Ask anyone who knows me really well. If it's in a neat pile, it's organized. ;) Although...this pile isn't even neat...

Just one small part of my husband's closet. It was organized at one point in time. But now it just looks like his closet threw up on the floor.

A shot of the other side of hubby's closet. Notice that I can't even slide the door all the way open. :/ And please notice that the shelf up at the top is nothing but clutter.

Enough picking on hubby. This is the "organized" part of my closet. Yeah.

This is how I store my jeans. It seemed like a great idea at first, but it turns out I can't reach up there very well so this is what it ends up looking like.

Oh and this is where most of my shoes live. It seems as though I'm not taking very good care of them.

And since the master bedroom and bath are (very small) and connected to the bedroom by the closet/dressing area, I figured I'd go ahead and include it, because it too is awfully cluttered.

This space, too, has been recently "organized." Noticed the nice labeled bins...that are open and not containing their stuff. Sigh.


So there you have it! My secret's out (though my hoarding tendencies are far from secret). And OMG I'm so ready to start organizing! Happy organizing everyone! (Ooh, and check out the awesome button on my sidebar!)

7 comments:

  1. I feel a little better about the shape our home is in...but also pretty inspired to get some organizing done before baby Evey arrives...perhaps it'll help us transition into parenthood a little better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i had a feeling it would make most people (not me, of course! ;) ) feel a bit better. i'm always a lot calmer (ha. ha.) when the house is organized.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness. Can I say that, while my closet is definitely really organized, my nightstand, flat surfaces and floor look alot like yours? (What are those legs for under the bed btw? Furniture you haven't put together?). I'm REALLY interested in seeing what methods you use to organize, as most of them could probably work for me!

    Also--those brown boots of yours in the closet? Can we get a close-up? They look cute :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what it is about those flat surfaces?!! they just BEG for crap to be thrown on them! also....
      *they are what used to be our headboard/footboard, but we upgraded from a full to a queen so they no longer fit. we're saving them for when we *someday* have a guest room
      *the ones with buckles? they're "riding boots" from target. I L.O.V.E. them. :)

      Delete
  3. The really scary part of this is a) I've seen it look way worse, and b) I once lived with your piles and didn't have a problem with it.

    To me this says, a) you have hoarding tendencies that go back a long way, and b) my cleanliness and OCD have increased dramatically in the 8 years we've known each other.

    My need to label things is a nice example of the last "b". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a) you've seen me at my darkest hours ;) that's why we're BFF (and because we hate the same stuff)
      b) true. or you've just grown up. most college students aren't too worried about dorm rooms being super clean

      Delete
  4. Wow! That's a lot to take on in one month, but YOU CAN DO IT!

    Looking forward to following your progress! I am cleaning out my basement storage room!
    :)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete