Wednesday, February 22, 2012

40 Days of Self Improvement

Mardi Gras is over and it's time for Lent. I am not Catholic, but I come from a very Catholic culture so when Lent rolls around I always ponder whether or not I should give something up. I know a lot of people who give up chocolate, caffeine, or even swearing. The problem with these is even if I were to give up these things, I feel like I would go back to them three-fold on Easter. As I've gotten older I've started thinking of Lent as more a time of self-betterment through sacrifice rather than a time to "give stuff up." I know that many of you who are much more religious or spiritual than I have probably already come to this conclusion, but I tend to be a slow learner in this area. Because of this I've haven't "given anything up" for Lent is as long as I can remember, but given my recent conclusion of self betterment through sacrifice, I thought I could get on board this year.

This year I am "giving up" going out to lunch during the week.

I spend a lot of money on running to Subway or the burrito place because I was too lazy to pack a lunch. Packing my lunch will not only save me money, but should save me a few calories too. ;) I am, however,  allowing one exception. I will continue to participate in work lunches. For example, next week after our staff meeting we are going out for birthday lunches. I will not be the girl eating a peanut butter sandwich in Applebee's. But I also will not use work as an excuse to consistently break my promise. If a group from the office is going out to lunch for no reason, I'll stay behind with my lunchbox. It's not a big deal and usually at least two people stay behind on these occasions.

I'm hoping that being very conscious of packing my lunch (and having things in the house available for packing!) for the next 40 days will get me in a good habit of packing healthy, low cost meals.

Are you giving anything up for Lent?

Note: I'm certainly not condemning giving something up just for the sake of giving something up for Lent. I just never could find enough motivation to do it just because. Everyone has different beliefs so I hope you'll respect mine. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm giving up clutter. LOL!

    I am decluttering my WHOLE house in the next 40 days.

    http://warriormama.com/2012/02/40-days-1-whole-house/

    :)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thing for lent is to not criticize as much. Apparently, I need to work on being nicer, so there you go : )

    ReplyDelete