Sunday, June 24, 2012

Home Buying Isn't for Sissies

So there was this time. And I was having this phone conversation with my step-mom. And I was all "I don't know why people think buying a house is so stressful, this is so fun. I've heard so many people complaining but, seriously, it's not that bad."

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I want to go back in time and say "Just wait, honey. This is going to bring you nearly to tears."

You can read a little about where it started here, but that is so just the tip of the iceberg. We have been going back and forth and back again regarding the results of the home inspection for over a week now. As to be expected from a house that was built in the seventies, there was a little wear and tear. It was the kind of stuff that *probably* should have been taken care of over the years. However, the sellers were less than enthused when we requested they address the majority of problems that were found by the home inspector.

The big one was the roof. The inspector said it needed to be looked at by a roofing contractor. Roofing contractor said we need new roof. Sellers' insurance company won't pay for said roof replacement. Sellers don't want to pay for it. Don't care. The roofer said it needs to be replaced, that's what needs to happen. That's one of the things they had already agreed to take care of.

What you see about is 8-10 days worth of conversation. I don't care if I never hear the word roof again in my life. I was about ready to let the house go completely when we made a decision to send one final email that essentially said, replace the roof or we're done. Fortunately the sellers realized we were serious about getting that taken care of and have agreed to replace it.

Honestly, I'm not nearly as excited as I should be about the news that we're getting a new roof. Rather than excitement, I felt relief when I got the email saying they would replace it. I'm over talking about it. I'm over negotiating and nitpicking over every detail. I'm exhausted. Manny, however, was still very excited which is good. (He's been in training and hasn't been dealing with the day to day negotiations.) He told me to go look at the pictures of the house online again, that maybe it would raise my spirits. It did, somewhat. I'm still recovering from the emotional roller coaster.

But today yesterday as I packed more boxes and the reality of moving comes ever closer, I started to get more excited about the house. I keep going back and looking at the online listing of the house that will soon be ours and that definitely is helping. I'm sure once we actually get there and get in the house I will be just as excited as when we first went through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment