Friday, July 20, 2012

life as a stay at home wife

Yep. That's me. Stay at home wife. One week ago today was my last day at my job here in Ohio. I've been kind of making a joke of being a stay at home wife, maybe because I don't intend for it to be permanent. All of my plans have me working full-time within a few weeks of arriving in Omaha. But what if that doesn't work out? I know quite a few ladies with the best of intentions but working full-time just doesn't seem to be in the cards for them.

I'm also a little ashamed because I realize recently that rather than making the most this (even if it's temporary), I seem to be just poking fun at it. Recently I was asked if I worked outside of the home and I was very quick to say "I did up until last Friday!" Even to my own ears it sounded like I was trying a little too hard to make sure she knew I had a career, I just wasn't working at the moment because we're moving so soon.

So what's the problem with being a stay at home wife? Nothing, really. I have some sort of guilt complex about staying home since I don't have any kids to take care of, just a husband and two dogs. Maybe I feel guilty now because I may have uttered something like "but what does she do all day?" in the past. It really doesn't matter. Stay home, go to work. Each person's situation is different and it's really not up to me to worry about anyone's situation but my own. And for now, my situation is my life as a stay at home wife, and I'm going to try and embrace it. :)

6 comments:

  1. Embrace it, girl! I am envious of you right now, as this is perfect for you in your transition from life before to life now!

    I can't wait to see what the future holds for you with your career/job, family and other awesome things!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Stacia! i'm trying to embrace it, and am very excited about our upcoming adventures! ps, i'm still working on the guest post, i promise i haven't forgotten!!

      Delete
  2. Being a stay at home wife myself, I know it can be a little strange making that initial transition, but take this opportunity to focus on your new role as a wife. I know you've said before that Manny does most of the cooking and housework, try using this time to learn to do those things for him. Hubs and I have had a much better relationship since I became a housewife. I am able to prepare meals for him, make sure his clothes are clean, paying the bills, and ensuring that our home and finances are well taken care of. It takes a TON of stress off his shoulders, and has taught me a valuable lesson in finding pride and joy in the little things. I hope things work out, but remember that being the foundation of your family can be immensely validating...sometimes even more than a career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks bre. :) as you know i'm not the most domestic girl in the world so it's definitely a weird transition. hopefully it's only temporary :)

      Delete
  3. T, i agree w/ Stacia. This will be great down time for you that you may not get again for a long time. Embrace it. I felt the same way when i went from one duty station to another before i had to start class. I wanted to jump right into it. None of the waiting around nonsense where i felt like i was just spinning my wheels. those were some of the most productive and stress free days ever! I need some of those now. I also agree w/ Bre. Take some time to define your role as wife. Another life lesson that us "not very domestic" ladies take a while to learn. It took me a good while to accept that if i wanted it cleaned, paid for, or cooked most likely i would have to do it :) I miss you tons lady. we need a skype/gmail date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I stay home full time as well. I LOVE it. We don't have children yet and I'm with you...I feel guilty a lot because I don't work. We are adopting a baby, but we have no clue how long that will take. But, my husband and I both love me being home full time. We are in West Omaha. Where are you? I would like to meet you if you're interested! And welcome to Nebraska! We've been here a year and really like it!

    ReplyDelete