Wednesday, August 8, 2012

diy hanging earring organizer

I have lots of earrings. Like, lots and lots. Unfortunately, I don't wear most of them because they're tucked away in a drawer in my jewelry box and I never see them. A few weeks (months?) ago I began researching better jewelry storage ideas and found this.

photo credit/tutorial link

So cute, right!? I found this idea while still in Ohio and knew I had to do this in my new house. :) So on Sunday when hubby and I set out to run a few errands and I told him we had to stop at the local Goodwill. And wouldn't you know, right across the street is also a little place called Thrift America. I ended up with a total of 6 picture frames for a total of $9.33. I could. not. wait. to get them home and start painting.

I decided to paint them white. I actually used the same white as we're going to use for all the trim in the house so I think they'll make for a really nice accent once the bedroom is repainted.

I've only completed one so far but I could. not. wait. to finish all of them to show y'all! The first one actually started out as a mirror and looked like this.

Ew. Am I right?

But then, with some paint, a few eye hooks, some wire, and more than a few mess ups (more on that in a minute), I had this!

I am beyond excited. I plan on eventually hanging all these frames on the wall once they're all finished but I just could not resist setting this one up with some earrings! And blogging about it of course. ;)

Materials:
old picture frame
paint/paintbrush
small eye hooks (I used Alambre #216-1/2 x 1/2" - found at Lowe's)
steel wire (I used .73mm)
pliers
wire cutters
tape measure

How To:
1. Get rid of picture in frame/old mirror.
2. Dust/wipe down with damp cloth.
3. When completely dry....paint!
4. Measure on back desired length between wires.
5. Screw in eye hooks.
6. Attach wire.
7. Hang awesome earrings.

Time:
...awhile?...I didn't really sit down and do it all at once. I painted, then put the hooks in. Then put a few more hooks in, then put the wire across.

Helpful Hints:
Please for the love don't try and put nails in the back of this thing and think you're going to attach your wire that way. I'm not sure why I thought that was a good idea, but it wasn't. I broke one of the picture frames, got really mad, and went back to Lowe's at like 6:30pm on Sunday. ;) The tutorial referenced above (the link is with the first picture) does hers with a staple gun. I just like the way the eye hooks look. Though they are kind of a pain in the ass....



I really can't wait to finish the rest and hang them all on the wall. I'll be sure to post pictures! Has anyone else done any fun DIY stuff lately?

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea!! I saw it on Pinterest but I don't really have the wall space for it right now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, sweetie. I cannot believe you found time to do this with everything you have on your plate right now, but I am glad you took time to do it. It's a really cute idea. Miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea! It would probably also make a great present for the earring lovers in my life.

    ReplyDelete