Friday, September 28, 2012

better than what?

I've been talking a lot lately about doing/being "better." Well, I've been thinking about it a lot and Manny mostly listens when I talk about it. ;) I've been talking about doing better work. Being a better writer/blogger. Getting in better shape. Eating better. Blah blah blah.

A lot of times I get overly excited when I think about bettering myself or my habits but then I get nervous because I get "being better" confused with "being perfect."

Here's how it goes in my head:

I really want to eat better. I'd better start eating all organic stuff and no carbs and no Diet Coke.
...3 days later...
OMG THIS IS TOO HARD I CAN'T DO IT!!! <insert pasta/Diet Coke/Reese's binge>


Something I've learned this time around is that you have to "do better" just a little at a time. And "doing better" does not mean being perfect. I'm not sure when I decided I wouldn't even try if I wasn't perfect right away. That's no way to go about doing things. Since when was anyone perfect at anything right away?

Right. Anyway. What I've decided is to just go about my day trying to do each thing a little better than I did yesterday.

For example:
Yesterday I left all my clothes on the floor when I changed after work. Today I will put them away immediately.

Does this make my house instantly spotless? Heck no. Does it make my bedroom perfectly clean and organized? No. But it's definitely a step in the right direction.

To get back to the title. The only person you need to be better than is yesterday's you. Don't compare yourself to others, that will only end in sadness and disappointment. I always have this feeling that if I'm not doing better than everyone or being the best, it's just not good enough.

So. Not. True.

3 comments:

  1. I have the same thoughts on a daily basis. I make lists and try to be "better" than the day before. Sometimes...I fail!

    As long as I'm getting things done and moving forward, I'm ok with that.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on T! You can do it, just one day at a time like you said.

    ReplyDelete