Monday, October 8, 2012

Two Financial Mistakes I Made Last Week

Last week, well really just Friday, was not great for my financial decision making resume. I made two mistakes that were really more annoying than devastating to my cash flow but if I continued to make these types of mistakes, I'd be in serious trouble.

Financial Mistake #1

My car was in near-desperate need of an oil change. So like the good frugal girl I am, I printed of a $10 coupon before heading to a nearby quick-lube place. Once there (and once I had already been in the waiting room for 20 minutes) they called me out into the shop to show me all the things that are "wrong" with my car. We then started talking about what sort of oil they were going to put in my car. They started talking to me about all these expensive oils and didn't even mention the "conventional" oil (and I didn't ask). They had me really convinced that I needed the $60 oil. I didn't even get to use my coupon because they were doing a $15 off "customer appreciation" event. Ha. With tax and everything I ended up paying $47 for the oil change. *choke* The conventional would have come out to about $27 after tax. (Sidenote: They also tried to tell me I needed replace my days old air filter, tried to convince me that replacing my windshield wipers would cost me $40 even if I did it myself, and tried to replace a belt that I had replaced about 4 months ago.)

Mini Mistakes within My Big Mistake

  • Not researching prices before going.
  • Not researching what kind of oil I would need.
  • Letting them convince me I needed more than a standard oil change.

How I'm Going to Avoid Making This Mistake Again

  • Change my own oil (or, you know, have Manny do it)
  • OR Do my research before going to the shop.
  • AND/OR Don't let myself get talked into something I don't need! 
  • Never go back to that particular place.

Financial Mistake #2

Saturday morning I was scheduled to go to a Farmer's Market with work. We had a booth there and were going to be standing outside for about 5 hours. It was forcasted to be about 32 degrees in the morning and only get up to 40 by early afternoon. Last spring Ella ate my good gloves. :/ I decided Friday night (nothing like waiting until the last minute to fuel a bad financial decision) that I needed some new gloves. We had looked at some gloves at a local sporting goods store a week or so ago and I decided that I would just invest in a good pair since I live in a place with pretty cold winters (and a pretty cold Fall apparently). I picked out a pair that was $45. Yes, a little pricey, but I live in Nebraska people. I deserve some good gloves and I had made a conscious decision to invest in a good product. It was closing time by the time we got up to the register (seriously, I waited until the last minute) and I was shocked when my total came to $62. *gulp* I stuttered a question about how my $45 gloves could have come to $62. The cashier showed me the packaging of the glove with a price tag of $55. Now here's where things got weird. The price tag on the packaging did not look like the price tag I had seen on all the other gloves. Also, she pulled the packaging off the gloves. Weird, right? Since it was late, the store was closing, and there was a line behind me, I decided not to make a scene right then. We left there and went straight to Target for some $20 gloves (which kepy my hands very warm by the way) and I plan on returning the over-priced ones.

Mini Mistakes within My Big Mistake

  • Not asking for a price check.
  • Not asking why she had pulled the gloves off their original packaging.

How I'm Going to Avoid Making This Mistake Again

  • Always ask for a price check if things don't add up. (hehe, see what I did there?)
  • Double check the price before I get to the register.
  • Don't wait until the last minute to purchase something that is a necessity.
  • Don't let the time of day or attitude of the cashier keep me from asking questions.


Have y'all made any silly but costly mistakes lately or in the past? What have you done or will you do to avoid them in the future?

6 comments:

  1. Those places can be very pushy, mainly because they get paid nothing and make most of their money from the extras they sell! They need to change their method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my gosh! they so were! it makes me really uncomfortable and i'm never going back to this particular place.

      Delete
  2. Synthetic oil really is a lot better for your car, especially if it's a newer car. If it already has tens of thousands of miles on it, it won't make much of a difference, but if it has low miles, it's good for your car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ouch. my car is neither new nor low miledge. sigh. but now I know for next time!!!

      Delete
  3. I swear, as soon as a woman walks into a car shop, prices go up and everything is wrong with your car! I've had to teach myself to say ok, thanks, I'll take care of that soon or I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's so true! and so annoying! i'm usually pretty well-informed and can tell them to shove it but they really got me with the "better" oil. *head desk*

      Delete