Tuesday, February 14, 2017

On Making Decisions

I read something interesting recently about decision making. If you've been around for a while you've probably read one of my several rants and/or brain dumps as they relate to this blog itself. The focus, the purpose, whether or not it should have a purpose. I've gone 'round and 'round and 'round on the topic, to only still, 2 years later, be undecided on the blog's "purpose" and whether or not it should even have one. But as I was saying at the beginning, I read something recently about decision making when it comes to blogging ideas and concepts and it was something that made me stop and think. This writer was reinforcing the idea not to rush yourself with a creative decision. Yes, a decision needs to be made eventually, but it might be in your creative best interest to let your thoughts align on the matter before jumping into something.

This is something I did not really do before creating my now defunct My Everyday Life blog. I wanted something new and fresh and a project that had a more "professional" feel than my little personal blog here. But I didn't spend any considerable time planning or working out any details before jumping into it and I just expected it to come of age on it's own. And to probably no one's surprise but my own, it did not. It grew stale and I realized that I was trying to make it something I thought people thought it should be, not an expression of my own thoughts and creativity.

You may wonder why I'm writing about this topic yet again. Well the desire to create a better creative space for myself has never been truly satisfied. I came back to my original blog because I needed some sort of creative outlet and here it was just waiting for me. However, other than just getting some words on a page, it doesn't do much for me. My previous community of military spouses and part-time writers and general kind-of-like-me people have moved on to other things, sometimes coming back every once in a while to update but even that is a rare occurrence. Mostly I feel like my writing is pretty isolated, other than to my dad, who still reads consistently because the posts show up in his inbox. ;)

So again, why am I even talking about this? Because I still want to create a new space. I still want to make something that's more than my random ramblings about things that don't matter. I've been doing some thinking lately and it seems I want to cover about 23094 topics, which would leave me with far too many irons in the fire. And then, I keep seeing these tutorials and templates out there of how to organize your thoughts and plans, and I really want to use them but then that little friend called "self-doubt" rears her ugly head and says "well what do you even need that for?"

Then I had an idea.

Because I don't want to stop writing all together while I hammer out ideas and a plan for this new project, I'll just keep writing and chronicling that journey here. It will be a little bit of a Inception situation to write on a blog about planning for a new blog but hey, that's where I am, so that's what I'll write about.

And to come full circle, what this has to do with decision making is that I'm actually allowing myself time this time around. I will give myself deadlines, but I'm going to really take my time and thoughtfully plan out my project, rather than jumping in headfirst without teasing the water.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment